Different Pitch Raising Sequence

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:55:52 -0500

I regularly bring any piano that is up to 200 cents flat up to standard
pitch in one sitting. At least half my tunings involve a pitch raise, and I
probably do at least one or two a week greater than 50 cents. They all go up
to standard pitch.

In the last two years I have only had one piano that would not go up to
pitch - an old rustbucket (moldy too!) S&S M. Had just a few pop a couple
strings. Most all - no problem. I tell the customer that I recommend
bringing the piano up to standard pitch - for better sound, and
singing/other instruments/student reasons. I do tell them that there is
always a chance that strings will break, and that they have the option to
tune it at a lower pitch. Only one lady requested that I tune it at a lower
pitch - she did not have the funds to bring her little wurly spinet up from
100 cents flat (it took a couple passes anyway just to even it out before I
could tune it!). I also did one old upright that was 350 cents flat and was
about 130 years old - THAT one I DID recommend to the owner that we only
bring it up part way this time - I think we went up to about 150 cents flat.

What policies do others have regarding REAL FLAT pianos???

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com