Pin Torque minimum standard?

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:18:30 EST

 stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca writes:

<<  I have established 50 in/lbs in the counterclockwise direction as the
minimum standard
for pin torque .  Below this and repair is recommended to the client.
(anyone care to comment on this standard?)         Stan Kroeker >>

I think 50 inch pounds as a minimum standard is far too high and is unfair to
customers who, had they called another tuner, might not even have been
apprised of a "problem" needing repair.

I feel most pianos will easily stay in tune at the 50 in/lbs reading, or 40
in/lbs, or 30 in/lbs. I have many customers whose pianos stay in tune at 20
in/lbs, but at 20 they are on the edge of the cliff. I do not tune pianos
with torque readings of below 15 inch pounds.  Very rarely, due to a
particular piano's  friction points and type of player (how lightly they play
), I have seen pianos that were stable in the 12-15 inch/pound range, but
never below that.

Bill Simon