what is the best temperament?

Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:12:48 +0100

Martin... these numbers refer to a particular coincindent
partial pair found within the octave harmonics. If you
have studied a bit of theory then you know something
about the harmonic series. You should also know that one
can (for all practicle purposes) only match 1 pair of
coincidents within any given interval at a time.

A 4:2 octave refers to the 4th partial of the lower note
and the 2nd of the higher note. Likewise with the 6:3.
The difference really depends on the pianos
inharmonicity, but generally we can say that partial
pairs with higher ratios are wider (farther apart) then
those with lower ratios.

There is a good book  available from the PTG home office
called "On Pitch" by Rick Baldersin that goes into quite
some detail about Octave types. But again, unless you
couple your reading with lots of hard work and most
preferably some direct help from a knowledgeble
technician, then you are going to have difficulty in
succeeding. You say you have a teacher ? Perhaps you
might tell us a bit about what this course was.. how long
it took, what your studies included ?

I understand you have been contacted by one of our better
known Nordic piano technicians. I would encourage you to
take whatever advantage you can of her knowledge and
experience.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.