Tuning Test

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:10:56 EST

In a message dated 12/11/00 9:18:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jonpage@mediaone.net writes:

> At 07:01 PM 12/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>

> >> Dear Group,
>>
>>      I wonder if we will ever see in our time that the RPT examine will be
>> done with an ETD alone.  Someone stated that the EDT device is comparable
>> the computer revolution.  I think that this is true.  Yes, I can add
>> 24983987349873982987349873 + 20394803984029809384 divided by
>> 2098098209830498309 and find the square root of this number in about 14
>> days
>> if I do it by had but a computer can find it in about .03 seconds.
>> Sometimes
>> it is very hard to let go of the old way but the way computers develop
>> they
>> will in time, if not already, be able to set a temperament better and
>> faster
>> than our ears ever could.  It is just a matter of time.
>>
>>     Can you imagine this list a few hundred years from now.  All of the
>> ETD
>> tuners will be the old fogies and lord know what they will be tuning with.
>>
>> Probably a laser tuning hammer that works by mind direction only.
>>
>> flame suit in place and standing near a fire hydrant.
>>

> When I started about 30 years ago, electronic tuners were the black sheep
> of the piano technician community.
> Now ETD's are well accepted and almost requisite by some.
>
> What_is_this world coming to...
>
> Cheer up,
>
> Jon Page,   piano technician
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
> <A HREF="mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net">mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net</A>

Reasons for needing to be a good aural tuner:

       1. Your customers calls you back because several notes in the piano
were not in tune. You go there, check it with your ETD and it tells you it is
fine. Then she or he says "can't you hear it?"

       2. Your ETD battery goes dead and will not charge up. This has
happened to me on the first tuning on Monday morning of a very busy week.
Should I say "Sorry, Mrs. Jones, I cannot tune your piano today, because my
ETD is not working."  Or, to send my SAT in for a new battery and takes a
week to get back, which I did. I would have lost a whole weeks worth of work
had I not had my aural skills.

I hope that the tuning tests never lose the aural part. ETD's are excellent
sources and in many cases, a good quality piano can be tuned properly using
the ETD alone. But because of the above reasons, I will never support the
aural section of a tuning exam be eliminated.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR
www.davespianoworks.locality.com