Removing old plastic keys

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:09:29 -0000

I have found that you need to do them one by one (as opposed to a group at a
time).  Use an iron and cover the key to be heated with a piece of aluminum
foil.  The trick is determining the amount of heat to be applied.  Too
little and the glue won't soften, too much and the keytop starts to melt.
Experiment.  Once heated properly the keytop should come off fairly easily.
Use a sharp chisel to peel it back.  Note the grain direction of the wood.
Try and take the top off in the direction that the grain is rising or you
will tend to lift off some pieces.  If pieces of wood come off on the key
top.  Cut them off with a sharp razor and glue them back on.  If you lose
some chunks of wood, fill the gaps with West System Epoxy mixed with
fileting blend and surface the keys as ususal.

David Love