1905 Steinway D

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:01:14 -0500

Hi Paul. My point with the bellywork not being addressed is that, as I =
understood it, your anticipated improvements did not include belly work =
as it had already been done. Also, with reference to value assessed to =
current condition, even though "belly work" was done 15 years ago - that =
leaves little value to the stringing, and leaves questions about whether =
the bridges were properly recapped, and was the soundboard replaced? =
Unfortunately, the standard practice among the large number of =
"rebuilders" is to do the minimum (strings, hammers and refinish) and =
charge the maximum ($60,000). Assuming that this instrument has its =
original soundboard and bridges, to reach its potential and to really =
qualify for the $60,000 price tag, the instrument needs a new action, =
AND a new belly (board, bridge caps, rim repairs, framing repairs, =
etc.).

Wish it were mine!  :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 6:40 PM
  Subject: Re: 1905 Steinway D

  Terry
  The original post did cover the belly work, but not in detail to save =
some time. It was done about 15 years ago under the guidance of a =
reputable tech in the area. So, it passes muster although the cosmetics =
are a little lacking. Budget constraints may have been a factor then as =
they are now.

  Paul Chick
  ( I sent the original post on this)

  -- Original Message -----=20