west going hard too fast

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:32:01 -0500

At 07:09 PM 12/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>     In using the West System resin products, I have run into problems with
>even the smallest dose from the mini pumps beginning to set up before I get
>as many bridge holes, etc, filled.  I am  using the 105 Resin and 206
>Hardener.
>     Anyway to slow this down?
>Thanks,
>Ed Foote

Ed,
Look at their list of hardeners, you can get a longer set from another
additive.

I just pulled out their info sheet next to the can (all the pages were
stuck together  :-)

Epoxy Hardeners:
209 Extra Slow    3:1 ratio
Pot life @ 95 degrees F, 15-20 min  @ 72 degrees F 40-50 min.
Cure time  ",6-8 hr                     ", 20-24 hr
Min. working temp. 70 degrees F

206 Hardener has a pot life of 0-25 min @ 72 degrees F
Cure time 6-12 hr
Min. working temp 65 degrees F

Forget the pumps, mix it on your digital scale, you can make smaller amounts
with increased accuracy.

I prefer Epoxy Technology 301 with West System's colloidal silica filler
and fairing compound.

I have an old Yamaha case to reglue the outer rim. It has been in storage
for an indeterminate amount of time.
The bass side is wide open at one glue joint with separations at various
points of the curved portions. I
intend to let it 'dry' for a week or two and remove the keybed (advise
requested) to clamp the mess together.

Oops, I think \changed the subject a tad, sorry Jeannie,

Sticky Wishes,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net