Removing old plastic keys

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:07:01 -0500

At 05:04 PM 12/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I am getting ready to remove some plastic keys from an old upright and
>replace them with new key tops.  Since I have never done this, I thought I
>would ask you all what would be the best way to accomplish this without
>destroying the keys themselves!
>Thanks
>Patrick

My favorite means of removing ivory and plastic is to place a piece
of aluminum foil on the keys and lay an old iron (not the one I wish
my wife would use on my shirts :-) with the appropriate setting so
as not to discolour the ivory or ooze the plastic over the key.

The foil keeps the iron surface clean so I can press bellows cloth
onto the boards without gunking it up.

Clean tools make all the jobs go easier.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net