SAT Mystery

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:01:59 -0600

Lynn,

At 04:04 12/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, I am going to open a panderers box.  If you can tune by ear, why
>would you even consider purchasing such a device??? I don't think it is
>any faster, and I chip pianos as I string them, and after 3 tunings, in
>the first sitting, the piano is stable.  Lynn Rosenberg

I'm in a particularly Monday mood this morning, so I'll stir up the
hornet's nest a bit.

This list is supposed to be a panderers box.  Most of us on it pander to
the wants and perceived needs of our customers with regard to acoustic
keyboard instruments (that set of chord bars on the autoharp could be
considered a keyboard, couldn't it).

As far as _Pandora's Box_ is concerned...  I'm an unreconstructed,
unrepentant and unashamed aural tuner who has been saying the same thing
for years.  I'd also add that my wallet is not used to ever opening very
widely.  So, IOW, if you don't yourself see a need for something, you are
highly unlikely to purchase it. (significant other pressure
notwithstanding...) Or, to put it in the "bottom line" perspective, if you
don't see any financial/physical/emotional advantage to having a machine
take away some of the thousands of tuning decisions necessary to tune a
piano, you won't buy it.

That said, I have seen occasions where an ETD could have helped.
*Tuning S&S D, Bald SD10 and SD6 together for performance of Bach Triple
Klavier...
*Touchup of harpsichord at intermission in noisy 1500 seat hall...
*Touchup of S&S D at intermission in noisy 1500 seat hall...

Snowsuit.. er.. ah.. flamesuit in place.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.