Grand piano design - parallel vs angled strike line?

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:19:14 -0500

I don't have an angled keyboard for inspection at the moment but I can provide
a speculative reply.

If the keys are shorter in the treble, the balance rail is also set at a
corresponding angle.
This will still provide a similar Key Ratio proportionally so a different
height heel would
not be needed necessarily.

The bass and treble hammers (1 & 88) generally have weight difference of 6
to 7 grams.
I don't see where the lighter treble hammers need the advantage of a long
keystick.

To have the keys equal length on certain pianos would alter case dimensions
and overall
athetics with little or no performance benefit, seems to me.

The problems I see are in the action setup on the production line. I think
that errors are
overlooked and the action designer's parameters are compromised for the
sake of production.
Generally by placing the capstan in what I consider a proper attitude I
have corrected
geometry/regulation maladies. The ideal capstan location I have found is
where the
capstan/cushion contact point at half-blow is renewed or maintained but the
angle of the capstan in
the keystick is 90 degrees to the cushion at half-blow. This allows the
capstan and whippen
'line of centers' to be equal and opposite from rest to letoff.   Many
times all that is needed
is the angle of the capstan altered and maintain the same contact
point.  So on the production
line the capstan was installed at an incorrect angle and subsequent
regulation suffered.
There are actions which have the capstan in the wrong location for the
simple reason
of keeping it centered on the whippen cushion (as you mention below); this
production
oversight is a welcome correction by the piano owner and they invariably
ask, "Why did
they not correct this?"  Pointing out that some company's PR is better than
their Quality Control
I say, "Someone, somewhere will like it and buy it; 'they're supposed to be
heavy' is either
their filling market requests or conditioning the market for production
failures."

End gripe,

Jon Page

Jon Page,   piano technician