spray painted strings

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 06:04:57

Keith,
My heart sank when I read your subject line.  I hate seeing those things!

Seems to me that back in the late '70's one of the discussions at some of
the PTG meetings/classes included what kinds of things to use when "dressing
up the piano".  The only suggestion I can remember were some kind of bullet
shells (shotguns?).
Diane

>From: kam544@flash.net
>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>Subject: spray painted strings
>Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 21:29:53 -0600
>
>List,
>
>I have often wondered something and was reminded again of that something by
>a 1909 Hardman grand piano I picked up last week.
>
>Occassionally, in running across older grand pianos like this, there is
>evidence that someone has spray? painted the strings gold in the tuning pin
>area.  Even the coils of the strings are gold colored.
>
>So my wondering is: How in the world does someone get the coils of the
>strings gold colored, but nary a speck of gold paint on the tuning pins
>themselves?
>
>Keith McGavern
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731