Grand piano design - parallel vs angled strike line?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 11:40:31 -0600

Hi Ron,
            You should have labled the title, fudge factor 101.
One  variable you omitted, inertia is also being reduced as you move up the
scale since the hammers are smaller and the key weights are being moved
back.  How much effect does this have with regards to perception, feel, and
actual action saturation?
So many of todays pianos have soft wood frames,  bedding is very critical
in the treble, for both tone and feel. Yamaha concert grands need bedding
each time you tune them, for optimum performance.
More questions?????
Most concert grands have reduced treble shank mass, for tonal reasons.
Adding to the balance problem.
Good quality maple shoes can negate the effect of key whip lash, and lower
saturation. Like you I'm skeptical about the idea of shortening the key for
stiffness reasons.
How much is deep rooted tradition, and how much is science?  Good question.
I suspect that once the scale is set and the plate is cast,  make it work
enters the picture.
Brian has a good point about the belly rail. Start messing with it, now we
need to look at under levers etc.
Now, is the dog leg in the leading edge of the board/belly rail, there to
accommodate the treble strike point, or the bass strike point.  How many
empirical experiments were conducted to arrive at this configuration?  As
an aside, I have noted that many cracked boards, start to crack at the
corner of the dog leg.
Are we prisoners of tradition?
No answers, just more questions

Some thing else to muse over for the week end.
regards Rambling Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213