water based lacquer

Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:19:28 -0500

Hi Paul -

Unless there is considerable contamination - i.e. greasy 'junk' - I
wouldn't worry that much about compatibility.  By all means clean all
surfaces extremely well, and abrade with maroon scotchbrite pad or
equivalent.  In case of doubt about compatibility, slam two 1 lb cuts of
dewaxed shellac on before applying the waterbase and you will effectively
eliminate many problems.

I like the WB finishes from Target Coatings.   In particular, their
Premium Spray Lacquer and Production Lacquers are first-rate for an
application like this.  They can be ordered directly from Jeff Weiss at
Target Coatings at www.targetcoatings.com   , or from Jeff Jewitt at
Homestead Finishing at www.homesteadfinishing.com .  Jeff Jewitt also
carries some new conversion guns that are worth considering.... the
Asturo line of guns.  Check it out, and take advantage of Jeff Jewitt's
expertise by calling him up to talk about your needs.  His number should
be listed at his site.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com