water based lacquer

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 15:02:44 -0500

At 07:47 AM 12/07/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>List
>I inspected two Steinway B's at a nearby college that is hosting an
>international piano recital and wants the instruments "cosmetically
>improved." The cases appear to be in good condition except for the
>custodial dings and dents from daily use. I was actually quite surprised
>by their condition. The question raised: can they be dent filled,
>topcoated and buffed to make them stage worthy. The college is not
>interested in total refinishing, too expensive. I've done this in the
>passed with traditional lacquer methods, but I want to know if I can do it
>with water based lacquer. I've been spraying finishes for a long time but
>have yet to make the leap into water based. I gather from what I read from
>venders that this would be possible, but I'd like to hear from someone who
>has/is doing it and what they are running into. I'm familiar with dent
>work from Bondo to Konig, and finish prep and spraying for solvent base
>coatings. My concern is getting the water based to stick to the old
>finish. I plan on buying a new gun for this finish and making technique
>adjustments as required. Right now I'm favoring the gravity feed model for
>compressed air. What are your thoughts concerning the pianos and the type
>of spray gun you have and the brands of water based lacquers you are using
>and why. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
>
>Paul Chick

A conversion gun (compressed air > HVLP) would be best to use for spraying.
I have "sprayed-over" many pianos with PianoLac (as black as polyester and
the older lacquers) and no imprinting. II've had it match balck lacquer and
poly
perfectly.

It is available from Arthur Grudko.
mailto:Gutlo@bestweb.net