Historic Pitch Emergency - Help!

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:00:56 -0800

Richard,
Not a misprint as to the pitch level that I described.In  order to  bring
tenson level to those of A-440 type tensions the steinway stlye 2 actually I
think I said one, the piano needed to be tuned one half step high.This was
not an arbitrary decision . I used the original.string scale and bridge
placement.The speaking length on A note 85 was 1 and 13/16 inch long which
at pitch yielded a mere 105 pounds as I recall .Not enough tens. to even
sound dismal. The whole of the top two treble sections was weak and
lifeless.Crunching more strings lengths and tens. told the same low tens.
story.After consulting with Paul bailey who is historical temp. whizz and
also with danny at G.C. bass strings, doing some number crunching ,  it
became clearer that this piano was scaled this way during the mid 1800,s
pitch wars.My final confirmation was the P.T.J. annivs. journal which listed
several makers varying pitch levels. Determining the tens. was safe I pulled
the piano to it;s designed pitch level and the whole piano just came to
life. The treble though agraffed to the top sounded quite big and balanced
with the rest of the piano.This effect was the icing on this rebuilders cake
,because up to that point my gorgeous sitka board and that other work seemed
as though it was an exersise in historical piano futility.I would have been
delighted to hear any musical literature played on this Antique! The
downside is hearing all your favorite pieces at pitch level one is not used
to .I humbly suggest doing your research if your considering such a
project.If I had I may have chosen to move the bridge and rescale it so
pitch levels are normal to our hearing .Bored  yet? The piano now lives in
Palm Springs waiting for someone to play it!But at least when it is it will
be like stepping back in time and sampling apiece of Steinway history and
expierience a little piano evolution.Any other thoughts out there?      Dale
Erwin  R.P.T.