Burnout/not excusable language

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 23:58:07 -0500

I am a rather non-combative person. It is at great personal risk and =
with great trepidation that I provide the following comments. But as was =
stated previously, "To let this pass without comment is called =
enabling", as well as labeling Americans as being prudish.

I'm not a cultural expert, but I really do think that Kristinn is pretty =
much accurate that some words commonly considered "profane" in the U.S. =
are considered more casual or slang rather than profane in Europe. I =
thought her reference to the little pianos was rather cute actually. It =
brought a clear picture to my mind (ahhh, many fond memories), and a =
smile to my face (thanks Maria).

Hey Maria & Kristinn. Not all Americans are up-tight about the casual =
use of a slang adjective (just thought that might need to be said).

As for professionalism, this talk is nothing that doesn't commonly occur =
in the hallways at PTG conventions. I don't know that this forum should =
be all that different than a convention hallway. I'm also not sure that =
it is the place of Americans in general, or anyone in particular on this =
list to dictate linguistic moral standards. This list seems both =
professional and casual to me (just right). Nothing Maria or anyone else =
has written seems worth getting upset about (well, at least to me).

Oh well, back to counting ballots - or are we supposed to stop - what =
did the courts say today??????

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida