loose hammer heads

Bud Schwab budschwab@earthlink.net
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 17:51:29 -0800

Hi Clyde

If there a lot of loose hammer heads I used to use acetic acid and it would
soften and reset the old glue.  This was with older pianos that used animal
glue primarily.  I don't know why it wouldn't work just as well with the
newer glues.  Vinegar is acetic acid, but it should be
It sure saved a lot of time pulling and regluing and it worked
great.  stronger than that.  Probably around a 25 percent solution.

Bud

At 05:13 PM 12/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Today I tuned a school piano, a Yamaha studio model P22, or whatever
>model they called it when it was new back in 1971.  It has many loose
>hammer heads.  How would you recommend I reglue these?
>
>In pianos where there are just one or two loose, I generally just work
>it off and reglue.  Is there danger in breaking the butt or flange by
>doing this?  I think I've heard of turning the action upside down and
>using the water-thin CA on the loose ones.  I've never done that.
>Advice?
>
>Regards, Clyde

                                                 Bud Schwab
W 6 Z Y P