NPR- Abrasive Surfacer, (Planer)

john hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 21:47:13 -0500

Ron,

 Looks like I misunderstood you question.

A large thickness sander seems like over kill for thicknessing key top material.
Maybe you could rig up a mini thicknesser on your drill press. Use a sanding drum
and build a fence to guide the key top through. Feed the tops in counter to the
rotation of the drum.

Are you planning on installing these thin key tops on a keyboard? If so I don't
think that would be prudent. If you reduce the plastic to the thickness of ivory
you invite a number of problems. The plastic could develop waves and lumps like you
see on early plastic key tops. I bet it would also become loose much earlier than
it should. There is probably a good reason that plastic key tops used on high
quality keyboards are thicker than the old ivory.

If you are serious about recovering keyboards with plastic I think it would be
better to try to find a way to use ones that have the front covers attached. I am
convinced that these can hold up better over time than the earlier separate top and
front. I am using the high quality German plastic key tops in both new keyboards
and in recovering. They have have a smooth overhang and their head scale is just
right for the kind of pianos I work on. They only come in octave sections and for
recovering you have to first cut them apart.

John Hartman