May Their Practice rooms be filled with 1098's

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 16:05:28 -0500

Ron is right on.

These pianos do render too well.  If you keep your hammer as
close to 10:00 as you can keep it the better you can control
the flag poling because the pull of the hammer is counter
balanced by the pull of the string.  The problem is that Ron
is too short to reach the hammer at that position.

One hammer that does work, and exceptionally well, is an
impact hammer.  It turns the pin instead of flexing it and
they are so easy to tune that way that you wonder why you
didn't do this a long time ago.  Not perfect but what a
difference.  You do need to hold the hammer so as to take
the weight of the hammer off the pin.

They are spiteful pianos to tune and so is Steinway for not
making changes to accomodate those who service the damned
things.  Just my opinion mind you but if I am the one to
tune it I will not recommend a piano that tortures me.  They
make them to accommodate THEIR values which means butkus
after they leave the factory.

		Newton