Broadwood

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 13:19:44 -0200

Hi,

I wonder if some might consider this thread off-topic, too!

I, for one appreciate the opportunity to dig into the instrument I
mentioned earlier purported to have been built in 1805, and on which
recommendation I'd wrangled without further investigation. It's not a
candidate for restoration, at either age, due poor condition and
apparently a large number of existing examples (plus it's not mine). I
might also mention these are barely related to their enormous,
overstrung American cousins from after 1860 (hmm, of which I have
_several_ examples as well). Dates given are from Colt and Wainwright;
Harding gives prices in 1815 - 18£ 3s for a square with a double action,
and 26£ for an elegant square.

No. 25496 (painted near tuning pins, behind the treble nut - 1820),
pencilled inside of the lowest key, "10/26/20". F,-c'''', "additional
keys" (1793 until about 1825) starting at c#''', "additional" tuning
pins along the right side. Measures 1700mm x 628mm; receptacles for
six legs, two drawers with lion's head pulls; Mahogany veneer over
Pine and Mahogany, with Boxwood and brass banding (including a
decoratively formed molding - by 1814). Fretted nameboard, inlaid
with Sycamore Maple, and which reads "John Broadwood & Sons; Makers
to His Majesty & the Princess; Great Pulteny Street Golden Square;
London" (1808-1820); fretwork also in the rear corner of the
soundboard (confined to the right side of the case). Single bridge,
wooden nut (both Beech - straight strung); single, near-vertical
(front) bridge pins, close-wound bass strings, double strung, wooden
hitch-plank (probably before 1822). Laminated Pine bottom board. Double
action (Lime and Mahogany - 1780s onwards, optional until early 1800s),
leather hammers (3 layers, white wash leather outer - tenor sample),
"front checks" on jacks (no back check - before 1823), dolly overdamper
moldings, cloth dampers (F,-b'', addl. keys undamped), forte mechanism
(1783 on). Legs, pedal hanger, lid, numerous hammers missing, signs of
slight modification and crude repairs.

Clark