1098's

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 06:50:53 -0500

Friends,

I service one of these in a church.  The 1098 there is five years old.
A member there highly praised the wonderful tone of the piano and is
also in the position of buying a new piano for the organization where he
works.  I became concerned that he might be thinking of buying the same
model.  In addition to remembering the discussions on this list, I
looked up what is in Larry Fine's book.

Larry includes information mentioning that technicians usually complain
"the pianos are extremely difficult to tune" but also says that they
hold their tune very well, and that other than the tuning difficulty
"most technicians liked them and thought they sounded very good, but
considered them expensive."  For his complete input, buy the book.

That positive note helped to balance out the negative feelings I had
developed over the past couple years toward the model.  I found the one
I service very susceptible to humidity changes.  I convinced the church
to install a humidity control system.  That, together with using an
electronic tuning device (RCT) that shows me right away if the tension
is holding or not, has me optimistic that I can keep the piano sounding
reasonably good with six-month tunings.

Regards, Clyde