questions for Richard..off topic

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:59:33 EST

Ric wrote:

<<"Makes one wonder how in a
presidential election 157,000 votes for president get thrown out by the
machines.    Its becomming an issue of "what is going on in Fla that 150,000
citizens couldn't punch the ballots right."  If this amount of "spoiled"
ballots is close to the national average I won't worry about Fla  anymore.">>

Ric;
 Nationwide there were/are some 2.7 million "uncounted" votes. Just taking a
SWAG I would say that the majority of these are not "countable" either for
being intentionally left blank, as a protest perhaps, or are invalid for some
other reason.
Using that 2.7 mil figure, as reported by AP, CNN, and others, and dividing
by 51 (states plus DC) gives us a State average of 52,941
uncountable/uncounted/invalid votes per State. Or an average "uncounted" vote
of 2.7%........based on 100,000,000 votes cast.

 Larger States would of course be expected to have larger portions of this
National average..OK?

 Florida had 6 million votes cast and the 157,000 "uncounted" votes actually
represent a 2.6% "uncounted" tally, or slightly under the National average.
 Miami-Dade county, one that the Gore camp wants recounted, had a total of
618,256 votes cast with an "uncounted" vote of 10,750...or stated
percentagewise Miami-Dade has a 1.7% "undercount...or said still another way
Miami-Dade's "undercount" is one full percetage point 'below' the National
average.............in addition it is .9% point below the FL Statewide
average "undercount".
 The 2.6% "uncounted" for Florida, statewide, is also lower than the National
average of 2.7%
synopsis:
National "uncounted" vote 2.7%
Florida "uncounted vote 2.6%
Miami-Dade "uncounted" vote 1.7%

I have heard several times that Los Angeles CA alone  had an "uncounted" of
some 300,000 votes...any confirmation out there?

Technical Content:
As per Ron N's Pearle River thingees.....I have tuned/serviced aprox 12 of
these, mostly verticals models. Out of this small grouping I would have
recommended that a customers of mine purchase only two and only then when
money was the 'paramount' issue but a new instrument was desired. But it
needs to be said that a Pearle River instrument of today is better than one
from two years ago.
Jim Bryant (FL)