Pin Torque

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 08:32:33 EST

In a message dated 12/1/00 3:48:38 PM Central Standard Time,
stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca writes:

<< I take readings on several pins across the scale and always measure in
 the counter-clockwise direction (in the direction of string pull).  I
 have established 50 inchpounds in this direction as the minimum standard
 for pin torque (anyone care to comment on this standard?).  Below this
 and repair is recommended to the client.   >>

I use 40 inch pounds as the lowest. It also depends on what time of year you
measure. In the summer, you might want to use 50 inch pounds, while in the
winter, 40 is the lowest it should read. But even at that, I have found pins
to hold with as little as 20 inch pounds. Not that I want it to be that low,
but it is hard to convince a customer the piano needs a new pin block if it
stays in tune.

Wim