questions for Richard..off topic

Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:21:03 -0600

Chief Robin,
At 13:32 12/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:

  On a personal note, the Gore camp's
>contempt for American military personnel removes him from any serious
>contention of being the real Commander-In-Chief.

This is the thing about he-who-would-do-or-say-anything-to-be-ki.. er..a..
president which sticks in my craw the deepest.

Way back when, during the Vietnam War, I was stationed on a ship which
spent a _lot_ of time in the Tonkin Gulf, particularly in 1972. (Remember
the Haiphong blockade?? 75 days at sea between port calls...)  At that
time, mailcall was not a daily affair.  It might be 2, 3 days or up to a
week between having that mail helo landing on the fantail.

1972 was, as you may remember, a presidential election year.   I voted
absentee and I sent mine off in plenty of time, I think.

Here's the rub.  My ship was big enough to have it's own mailroom and did
cancel stamped mail, usually.  HOWEVER, members of the service in a warzone
do not need postage!  All one had to do was to write "free" where the stamp
would go.  (That's called "franking" and congress has the same priviledge.)

Smaller craft would not have mailrooms and their stamped (and franked) mail
would be routed through the Fleet Post Office in San Francisco.  The
stamped mail would _then_ get a postmark, or maybe not, which could easily
be more than a week after mailing it.  My folks got lots of letters from me
without postmarks.

Anybody out there still think that excluding military ballots with missing
or late postmarks is fair?

Does anybody care anymore what the military has to put up with to preserve
the republic?

Stepping down now from rant mode.

Conrad Hoffsommer
PO2 USN - Quit when still alive.

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
*They call television a medium. That's because it is neither rare nor well
done.
*98% of the population is asleep. The other 2% are staring around in
complete amazement, abject terror, or both.