A plea

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:55:33 -0500

I don't think it's a good idea to give anyone the picture that cats and
pianos mix. This is the time of year when many people working in the piano
business are especially overtired, oversheduled, working their last nerves,
and could care less if they ever saw another piano or customer, so this
little story, although it seemed hillarious at the time, might not sound so
funny if you are a cat person.

  I was working for a large piano retailer and business was gangbusters
during this holiday season.  People of all descriptions were buying pianos -
I swear some of them thought they were stereo systems with strings!  Anyway
this lady had just taken delivery of a baby grand piano, and the movers had
just left.  Suddenly she hears her cat squalling because its foot is caught
in the bass strings!  She calls the customer service department and our
receptionist just lost it!  She was laughing so hard trying to page a
technician.  You could hear this cat in the background over the speaker
phone, and the lady was in such a panic.  The whole service department was
in stitches while this poor woman was hysterical - and the cat kept howling
in the background!  Finally, someone had the presence of mind to tell her to
get a wooden spoon and pry the strings apart to get her cat's foot from
between the strings.

I doubt you will get many positive responses from piano technicians about
pictures of kittys on pianos.  Many  of us have the experience of removing
cat pee from the knees of our pants due to working on pedal lyres on carpets
in kitty homes.  And the list goes on....

Carol Beigel