Fabric Softener

james turner JTTUNER@webtv.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 01:43:04 -0500 (EST)

Pianotek Supply Company sells a hammer softener (8 oz. bottle) and a
hammer hardener (acrylic pellets mixed with acetone).  Unfortunately,
they don't give the chemical composition for the softener or where they
get it.

For softening hard hammers, I have the best results with pure lanolin
mixed with alcohol and sometimes distilled water.  I like lanolin over
fabric softeners because lanolin is natural to wool.  In my experience,
it works as well as any fabric softener, but it must be diluted first
since it is a thick oil.  I also use this "lanolin juice" on old
hardened damper felts and it is amazing in what it can do.  (I prefer to
replace old felts whenever possible)  Lanolin can be bought in health
food stores for about $5.00 (4 fl oz).

I have had great success with their acrylic pellets except I dilute it
much more then the directions say and use only a little at a time.  I
prefer it over lacquer because it dries very quickly.

Jim Turner