Pitch Raise Oddity

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:13:53 -0400

I ran into a situation today that I have run into many times before and have
no explanation for (today's was kinda an extreme example). I wonder if some
of you folks might understand what is going on.

A1959 Kakauer 40" console. The owner said he knew for a fact that it had
been at least 25 years since it was last tuned. I played it. No reason to
doubt his recollection. 80 cents flat in bass, 100 cents flat in tenor, and
up to 150 cents flat (A7) in treble.

Oddity: B87 and C88 were about 25 cents sharp. WHY??? :-(  Why is C88 so
often near pitch or sharp, and the rest of the poor neglected piano quite
flat? Any ideas?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida