Pitch raising on older pianos

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:08:13 -0500

Mitch,

What I generally do is bring the piano to standard pitch first, after
checking several strings (such as all the A's) to see if any breaks. It is
said that you do not want to overshoot too much with an older piano because
the strings are more prone to breaking. So, pitch raise to A440 first, or
A435, whatever the piano was designed for. (Wim's suggestion of raising to
1/2 step flat is good, even though I personally do not do that. I think that
if the owner wants a piano at standard pitch, and understands that it might
not make it without some strings breaking, then go ahead. They can replace
the piano with one that can be tuned at standard. No need to keep some of
these old clunkers around, IMO.)

With a piano that low, you should be able to tune the treble without using
mutes. Just get it into range because you will have to make at least 4
passes to achieve a somewhat stable tuning. No need to waste time with
muting on the first pass, except for the middle section.

What I do is to pitch raise the middle section twice, then pitch raise the
treble. Quickly tune the middle again, trying for better unisons than
before. It should be getting stable. Quickly tune the treble again, then
tune the bass twice.

If you are lucky, you may be ready to tune to standard at this point. Some
of the middle section notes will be right on or close, so the 4th pass goes
quicker in this section.

I wish I had a special trick to make it easy, but I've found that it just
takes work. Fast work, and hard work at that. but it gets easier the more
it's done. :-) I did a Kohler & Campbell console (3/4 step flat) this week
and used the above. I know it's not an old piano, but the procedure is
similar. It took me a little less than 2 hours. You might check the archives
for more info.

Hope this helps.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS