Pitch raising on older pianos

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:11:50 -0400

Mitch, all good suggestions so far to do a good job for this piano..however, with
a piano this old(1910, correct?), I would also recommend(from my experiences) NOT
bringing this instrument up to A=440..but rather A=436/437. I say this rather
timidly amongst my peers only because I am under the understanding that A=440 was
not a standard until later in the 20th Century.(?). Mitch, I have done it both
ways with pianos that are as old as the one you describe: all the way to 440 and
I have left some(usually uprights) at a slightly lower pitch. At a lower pitch on
those older uprights, there seems to be, to my ear, a certain richness in the 2nd
and 3rd octaves that doesn't appear to be 'as present' with a slightly higher
pitch...splitting hairs? - perhaps, but I can only describe my own experiences
and results from what have experienced..as they say, Your Mileage May Vary.

Rook