Ed Foote and Coleman 11

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:51:42 -0400

John, I don't remember how I came to have my version of Coleman 11.
It might have been a personal e-mail from Jim Coleman Sr. or I might
have copied it from a posting on pianotech.  I guess only Jim Coleman Sr.
can resolve the difference and say which is the true Coleman 11.

In any case, the fact that the offset for A is not 0 cents should not
be a problem.  There is a good reason for not making A=0 cents in
Coleman 11.  If you do then the average pitch is much higher.  This
will make the piano less stable when changing from one temperament to
another.  In my version of the temperament, the average pitch change
from ET is much closer to zero than the one you attributed to Ed Foote.
But of course that does not explain the discrepency with the B.

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, MI

John Woodrow wrote:

>Robert,
>The offsets you posted don't agree with the ones provided by Ed.  The fact
>that you have offset A by -1 certainly 'drew my attention'.  The offsets
>posted by Ed on the 13th April are (cut and pasted directly from the
>archives):

>A = 0
>A# = 3
>B = -2
>C = 4
>C# =1
>D =1
>D# = 1
>E =-2
>F =5
>F# = -1
>G =3
>G#= 1

>Robert, comparing your numbers against Ed's, yours seem to be all 1 cent
>less than Ed's except for the B.
>So as not to confuse anyone, Robert and Ed can we please clarify the
>situation.

( what I thought Coleman 11 was:   )

 C    3
 C#   0