Pitch raising on older pianos

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:42:04 EDT

Hi all...

I am lovin' this list! I have a general question for everyone.  I tuned a
1910 Harvard Piano this week.  It was sitting at a whole step plus 20 cents
flat.  The interior has been maintained and the single bass strings have
been replaced at some time.  No major corrosion at the bearing points.  I
don't like to leave a piano lower than concert pitch if circumstances allow
for a pitch raising.  But I have always been hesitant to bring an older
piano that far up in one visit.  Am I being too cautious?

Aside from the particular methods you might use to raise the pitch, what
preparations do you make when you do a pitch raising?  Do you have any
special tricks you use?  Thanks...

Mitch Ruth
DeMossville, KY