"Prepared Piano

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:18:15 EDT

In a message dated 08/30/2000 2:01:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

<< Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:38:02 +0200
 From: Brian Lawson <lawsonic@bigfoot.com>
 Subject: "Prepared Piano"

 Hi, is anyone familiar with this "piano music"

 "John Cage coined this term in 1938 to describe his internal modifications
 to the standard piano in order to change the sound it produced.  For the
 performance by Liza Joubert, furniture bolts, screws and nuts will be used
 to transform the piano from primarily a melodic instrument into a
 fascinating sound mixture evoking sounds ranging from guitar to Japanese
 percussion instruments.

 Friday, 22nd of September: Liza Joubert on piano. Sonatas and Interludes for
 prepared piano.  A unique opportunity to get to know John Cage's masterwork
 for prepared piano.  The evening will take the form of a
 'lecture/demonstration' with innovative pianist Liza Joubert and piano
 technician Keith Goodwill.  A rare opportunity to hear this composer's work
 performed in South Africa"

 I'll be there to find out for myself

 Brian Lawson, RPT
 Johannesburg, South Africa >>

Hi, Brian!

I think you are in for a treat.  I am not really a fan of John Cage's music
written SINCE his prepared piano pieces, but that's my own problem.  These
pieces are published in such detail that all of the preparation needed is
meticulously described, with measurements given for (often) concert grands
and smaller pianos, as well.  Any I've seen have complete instructions for
preparing in such a way as to avoid any kind of damage to the instrument.
And the sounds are really wonderful.  The pianist, by the way, is reading
regular notation, but the instrument has been altered to suit the composer's
ideas of that piece.

Let us know your reactions, please!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL