Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:38:59 -0400

About 20 years ago some vandals discharged the entire contents of a dry
chemical fire extinguisher into a Baldwin Hamilton at the local high
school.  The staff pushed it into a practice room where it stayed for 18
years.  No attempt was made at the time to clean it out.  It sat there
collecting dust and being banged on by bored students for all those
years.

Two years ago I decided to see if I could salvage something from this
otherwise good instrument.  To make a long story........ the keypins had
deposits resembling dried plaster of paris, but more difficult to get
off.  I removed the front and balance rails and spent hours cleaning
them.  I blew out the key mortises with compressed air....over and over
and over.....still there was evidence of dust.....same thing with the
action.  This stuff had permeated the most difficult of recesses.  Today
the action centers are a little stiff, but the instrument is playable.
After one year of use I pulled some keys and noticed more of the same
hard deposits on the keypins.  It's as though the stuff is leaching out
of the key bushings.
I did notice when using a vacuum on this stuff that the dust went right
through its filter into the air.....so, I would move it outside to do
your cleaning.

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee