Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 07:08:37 EDT

Dear Mr. Simon:

All this talk on standards only goes so far.  The craft we are involved in,
well... is just that, a craft.  A craft involves an artist trying to perfect
something that basically can't be perfected because changing skill levels in
the craftsperson and changing tastes in society keeps us in a constant state
of flux.  We continually look for new tools and materials to perfect our art.

To experiment is part of being an artist.  One would only hope these are
carried out on shop experimental pianos before adapting it to field use.
However, in all trades, whether there are standards or not you find instances
of shoddy work.  Below standard work just won't go away no matter how hard
any of us try.  Our laws are social standards and we can't get people to
agree on thou shall not kill, let alone thou shall not use snuggles.

Sincerely,

Doug Mahard