"Silent piano" units

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:25:56 +0000

Hi Matt,

Seiler, in Germany produces pianos with that.
I don´t know much about it really, but in Seiler it works in such a way
that when one turns a swivel located underneath the keybed, a sensor moves
to a position so that the hammer SHANKS touch it JJJUUUUUSSSSTTTT before
the hammers hit the strings, so the touch stays virtually the same.
I believe the Yamaha one had problems with that aspect, and sounded bad.
A processor is placed by the bottom of the sound board and makes the piano
look really high tech :)
I wouldn´t be surprised that S&S were in the high end, of both quality and
price.  I believe the Seiler system cost around $2.000, rather more than
less, I think, but that was in a new piano with the system already installed.

This should definitely not substitute the authentic piano, but can be used
to practice scales throughout the night.  It has some nice midi effects too
I think.
The tuning on the Seiler one was sampled.  I found that every G had a
questionable unison in it, exactly twice as fast every octave up :)

Best regards,

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland