rebushing without getting bushed

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:13:35 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/00 3:42:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
agilreath@mindspring.com writes:

<< The instrument is an old Knabe upright.
 Butt flanges are double flanges that do not match anything current that I've
 found so far.  The center pins appear to have been plated and the plating
 has flaked off into the bushing cloth.

 The reason I first asked was that the Garrett labor guide lists a time for
 rebushing one flange but not for an entire set.  Having repinned plenty of
 sets, I was curious from some of the folks who have rebushed entire sets to
 see just how much time was saved on doing a whole set versus one flange at a
 time.  Believe me, if I could get new parts I would certainly use them on
 this case.  I have several thing I'm going to try on this job and let you
 all know the results when I finally get done.

This sort of brings up an old topic. Is the piano worth spending all this
time to rebush the flanges?  Knabe's were good instruments, but with having
to rebush the flanges, and perhaps other work on the piano, will the end
result warrant all the time and energy spent?

Willem