Lacquer for hammers

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:01:04 -0500

Thanks Mark, this is good, you're confirming some things I've been told by
others.  How about my question about hot/cold pressed?  I know SS hammers
need LOTS of hardening (usually) and you need lacquer or plastic.  I am told
by SS (John Patton) that they use lacquer for the main hardening with slight
use of keytop at the stikepoint later when needed.  But SS hammers are so
different from other hammers.  Thanks again.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Mark Story
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 5:27 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: Lacquer for hammers

We've used sanding sealer and acetone for years. I think the thing about ss
as opposed to topcoat (they're both nitro-based) is that it is a little
softer and has stearates in it to make voicing with needles a little easier
(this is the theory, mind you). A warning though: if you're prepping new S&S
hammers, stick with the topcoat - ss is too soft for q-tip hammers. Thin it
with acetone for faster drying. You can push it some with judicious use of a
heat gun - I have done day-of-concert hardening with decent success, but
would prefer to see it dry overnight. It seems that I am cutting it about 5
or 6 to 1. I mix it in a plastic catsup bottle that you can find at the
supermarket in the dishware section (not the condiment section) and just do
it by eye. The bottle had a screw-on lid with a plastic cap spout. This
bottle may eventually crack with continuous contact with the dope, but it
takes 3 or 4 years.

Mark Story. RPT
Eastern Washington University
Cheney, Washington