Lacquer for hammers

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:15:47 +0200

I wont answer all these questions, as you have gotten plenty of good stuff
already. I just have one little trick I learned once to throw your way. Ed
Foote
talked about a non-linear resiliancy that one tries to create. One way of
helping
this along is to have two bottles handy. One with your 8:1 or 10:1 or
whatever
solution, and one with pure thinner. Soak your hammers with the laquer
solution,
and after seeing that it has soaked in about as far as its going to, add a
couple
two to three drops of thinner right on the top. This has a nice little
habit of
forcing more laquer deeper into the felt, leaving less just under the
surface.
Makes things very non linear indeed.

As others have said.. Voiceing with laquer is at least a two visit kinda
job. I
personally like to wait a full week in between visits, and I ask the owner
play the piano a lot in between. Perhaps this is over kill, but perhaps
not, in
anycase it allows the owner to get sorta over adjusted to suddenly much
louder
hammers and then when I come for the evening out process I am almost 100 %
guaranteed that the customer will just love my work...

Just a side note to Bill one this last comment....grin... this is by no
means any
form of a con job... but it is using basic psychology to my advantage...
thats
fair aint it ???? :):)

--
Richard Brekne