Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:06:02 EDT

The posts of some of you "professional piano technicians" are getting harder
and harder to take.

<< More and more often, I am voicing hammers
using a solution of "snuggles", alcohol and water,...>>

Why "snuggles" ? - why not beer, or axel grease thinned with power steering
fluid to soften hammers, and lemonade or melted low fat ice cream to harden
hammers? ( I guarantee these products will change the tonal output of the
hammers.)

Do ANY of you do any TESTING on your own pianos, or experiment for perhaps a
day or two before you apply cockamamie concoctions to the expensive pianos of
customers?  Is there an extensive chemistry education background in some of
you that I have missed? Considering that piano technology is long
established, and cures for various problems are rather well known and proven
safe and effective,  it seems like the current "professional" practice has
deteriorated to five minutes of pouring onto hammers  any $1.19 product from
Safeway, --and voila-- it sounds different. ( No matter that harm is done.)

How about this idea for a action reconditioning?  Leave the action out in the
rain for a few days! The water will soften the hammers and the tone will
improve, the action centers will swell and shrink upon drying and free up,
and the key bushings will tighten up a lot, eliminating key slop! Genius.

Seems to me that the sterling professionals that advocate new treatments, on
any part of a piano, should have the burden of proof that they cause no harm
and are better than the old ways. If they are proven out and become part of
decent established practice, the fellow should be given credit and renown!
AND, - to be ethical "professionals" - if you do find a product to pour on
hammers and in 2 minutes they are all better forever, then the result to the
customer should cost the customer LESS, - unless it is part of a con job.

Recently I read here that someone leaves the pitch raise tuning DELIBERATELY
" ROUGH" so that the customer is more impressed with their tuning the next
session.  They were feeling a bit sheepish about that.  I have a tip for you,
 -- this is the essence of a con job,  doing deliberately inferior work, when
better work could be done,  to con the customer into believing something that
isn't true!

Where the hell are the " Standards of Practice" found in real professions?
What is the PTG for if not to establish such standards and educate towards
them?

Bronx cheer,

Bill Simon
Phoenix