Go Bars

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:34:24 -0500

Try 2" wide, 1/4"thick.  Cut about a foot longer than board to ceiling, then
cut shorter till you get the tension you want.  Do ONE, then duplicate.
Every wood will be different. Take a look at grain, knots (if any)are weak
points usually.   BE SURE to put wedges between ribs and braces under board
to support.  Good luck.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 11:08 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Go Bars

Hi List Folks. I am shimming a couple of soundboards (ala Spurlock/Bolduc).
I will be using go bars (top end on shop ceiling) to clamp the shims to the
soundboard. Do any of you have any practical knowlegde to share regarding
dimensions of the go bars for moderate pressure (I know I do not need tons
of pressure for a little spruce shim). I have some nice clear 3/4"-thick red
oak. What is suggested for cross-sectional dimensions and length (how much
extra length to put in bar)? My ceiling is about 5 feet above the boards. I
know that ultimately I will be experimenting alot, but some input would
start me in the ballpark. Thanks for any good input!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com