Pounding tuning pins.

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 06:44:04 -0600

Hi Doug,
             I wonder if you will be opening a can of worms by driving the
pins? This in the short term will destabilize the tuning, so it is very
important that the customer understands that this will happen.
Next comes the politics, who pays, the rebuilder or the customer?   Yike's.
 <G>

On the subject of coils.  They can be loose in two ways.  In need of
lifting because they are spread down the pin, or loose because they have
been over lifted past the becket hole.
Jim.B has a neat coil setter that level's the coils so the becket hole is
just exposed. In combination with lifting the coils, it produces the
neatest looking and tightest coils possible.
Thank's Jim.  There is a drawing in the T & T section of a back issue of
the Journal.
The reason for mentioning this,  in borderline cases of high coils, when
you think they are too far from the plate. Leveling the coils solves the
problem and increase tuning stability.

Customer expectation is a real intangible, just like environmental
conditions. But if I read you correctly, 1 cent sharp after a reasonable
period of time. Has the problem kind of stabilized??

Your comment about key height, that seems really excessive for just
humidity changes.
It must have been close to the fall board from the start.

Not the greatest rebuilding job??????????????

Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213