Pounding tuning pins.

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:45:04 EDT

Hi all:

New customer has a Howard/Baldwin baby grand that was rebuilt recently (not
by me.)  I'm the second or third tech to service this piano which the main
complaint has been tuning instability.  Visually the pins looked high with
the angle of the strings coming off the pin either level or heading in a
downward direction.  The measurement from the plate to the bottoms of  the
coils on the tuning pins is a 1/4".  If I was going to drive pins further
into the block so bottom of coils would now be 1/8" off the plate would it be
wise of me to drop the tension of the strings a bit before driving the pins?
Of course I would be supporting the pinblock during this operation.

I should say, the rebuild took place under two years ago and the new strings
have gone through their initial stretching period.

Thanks in advance for any come backs.

Doug Mahard