verdigris question

Pppdude@cs.com Pppdude@cs.com
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:24:46 EDT

I've come across an old S&S upright which I strongly suspect has a verdigris
problem, and a very severe one at that.

Basically, each and every key is sluggish, and many do not return at all to
their resting position after being played.  The instrument is not playable.
The owner says it just needs "a good cleaning".  I disagree.  I don't think
humidity is the problem either, since the climate around the piano is not
extreme, and the owner says the sticking problem does not seem to change with
the seasons.

I am not a piano technician, so I'm interested to know if there is there is
an accurate way to diagnose this problem (without calling in a technician),
and if there are any new and exciting ways to treat this problem that I could
suggest to the owner.

Does anybody know of any other possible causes of this instrument's misery?