Fw: Harpsichord

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:27:52 -0500

Patricia Neely wrote:

> List I received this  can you help? Thanks Pat
>
> > Patty. Help. One of my good customers just purchased a Harpsichord and
> > wants me to show her how to tune it. I don't know the first thing about
> > it. Sandi

Hi Patricia & Sandi,
	I just scanned several days of mail and see no one responded yet. I
assume you're asking about hammer technique. Most harpsichords have the
"zither" tuning pins with square heads. Original pins from the 18th cent
are flattened and require a T-hammer with a head for that style. Most of
the supply houses carry a t-hammer for tuning. You can use a gooseneck
but I don't recommend it...you don't need the torque. A loose pin can be
tightened by pulling it out and shimming the hole with a bit of paper.
	When tuning, try to turn the pin without rocking it in the hole. If
necessary, a little bit of pull back will move a sticky string over any
friction points - then seat the pin. It's very much like tuning a piano
only much easier - and I think the overtones are easier to hear (depends
on the instrument though). You will want to know if it is strung for
modern pitch or some older one - typically A-415
	Hope this helps.....just ask about a temperament to use and see what
response you get.

		Dan J in Wmbg VA