Another question regarding Well Temperament

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 05:52:52 EDT

I wrote:
<< "In the keys found in the middle of the circle of fifths, there is a less
dramatic difference in the tempering, allowing certain "alignments" of the
intervals to produce triads with a lot of the beating working together."

And Doug writes:

>>Is this beating that is working together the rhythmic harmoniousness? >>

Greetings,
    Yes, this is what I thought Owen meant by his original statement.  The
beat rates are proportional to each other in certain triads. The "Rhythmic
harmoniousness" isn't a term I would have used, as most of these rates are
beyond what I would have thought of as "rhythm".
    I have just finished a Broadwood 7' grand restringing and action set-up,
and last night put Paul Bailey's '92 well temperament on it.  This is a very
clean sounding tuning, and while it hasn't the contrast of say a Kirnberger,
there are numerous places in the temperament in which the M3 and m3 share a
proportional rate, (at least, the way I have it does).  These triads have a
clarity, yet at the same time, a lot of "activity", as Margo says.
    Can an 8 year old temperament be saddled with the "historic" designation,
or is it simply a temperament, like all the others........?
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT