Spotty Kawai

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:47:45 -0700

I've seen grey spots on bass strings also...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Roger Jolly
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 8:09 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Spotty Kawai

>What puzzles me is about the grey spots got on the strings. I tend to think
>it is a humidity problem, but I have never see humidity to this to the
>strings. Rust, yes. Grey spots no.

Hi Dave,
              You have me confused,  Rust on steel no problem, not on
copper.   Grey on copper????
Most common polutants turn them a greenish like colour.  Almost sounds like
the copper plated aluminum strings of yesteryear.  Try rubbing one of them
with some fine wet and dry, down near the swage, see if you get nice bright
copper. If they turn shiny grey, plated strings, and probably a plating
problem, that may give you a clue to work with.
Roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213