piano tuning method

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:15:23 -0400

David,

I used to use a Peterson 520.  When I first got it and knew nothing about
tuning, I tuned my entire piano following the strobe.  It sounded pretty awful,
which may have been partly the machine and partly my lack of tuning technique.
I used it for years just for feedback in setting the temperament octave and did
the rest totally by ear.

I'm going to try to describe my method of tuning in less than 100 words when I
used the Peterson (I use RCT now).  Strip mute, set the temperament octave, tune
down to the bass end then up to the treble end, checking as I go, then do the
unisons, check all.  28 words, but as Bill and Richard both said, a thumbnail
sketch leaves out an awfully lot of important stuff.

Since you describe yourself as a novice, I might add that what you now consider
a nice result from the old timer may not meet your criteria for a good tuning
several years from now.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger