Action Geometry

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:37:04 -0400

Richard,
Like I said, get busy. Theorizing can only go so far.
It reminds me of the difference between theory and practice:

In theory, there is not difference between theory and practice but in
practice there is.

On the piano with the 'long hammer bore', check the pitch of the hammer,
it might compensate for it; or check the string deflection (angle to the
keybed).

Balance Weight being the average of Up Weight and Down Weight has a feature
that if you alter the friction, the BW stays the same; it is the UW and DW
which
converge or expand upon BW  through Friction.  ie:
BW =40,  F = 10
UW =30
DW =50.......alter Friction by +5g: F=15
UW=25
DW=55
BW=40
The only thing changed is the friction.  Balance Weight is controlled by FW
and SW
and to a lesser degree by leverage which has more to do with geometry.

Reduce Friction first, action prep is paramount.

The actions which you will be tending to soon have unique problems which
will require
different solutions which may depend solely on the budget of the customer.

Do the best you can, with what you got,

Jon Page

PS  You can talk about this until you're blue in the face but it is not
until you work
        at this will your understanding take form.  Get busy.

         -   Don't think, DO.  -  Yoda

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net