Piano Interior-not trivial, mice did it

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:26:32 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/00 11:20:43 AM Central Daylight Time, Diane
Hofstetter writes:

<< As the first four or five keys came out, I noticed something brown, took
 more out and more brown. It seemed to be dog food.  More keys came out, more
 dog (and cat and hair and miscl. coins) food.  Almost every last space under
 the keys was filled with dried dog and cat food!  No wonder the dip was
 shallow!

This is a fairly common occurrence.  Mice have dutifully transported the dog
food, kernel by kernel to the keyed of the piano and stored it there.  Just
think of how long this must have taken and how it had to be done when no one
saw it going on, not even the dog or the cat!  I find this condition every
other year or so.  I have cleaned out dog food or bird food (mostly sunflower
seeds) at least a dozen times over the years.  There usually has been no
serious or permanent damage but dealing with the look of absolute horror and
disgust on the face of the customer is as much part of the job as cleaning up
the mess.

This is a good example of why I don't think in terms of "PSO" when I see a
piano or situation like this, I think "$$$", because I will get them when I
finish.  The customer always has that checkbook out and wants to know how
much that will be as I play the final arpeggios and it is seen that the piano
is in tune, all keys are working normally and a bag of debris has gone out in
the trash.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin