dampers

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:43:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/0 6:06:43 PM, edwithen@oregontrail.net writes:

<< I am to regulate a rebuilt chickering grand #75230 built somewhere around
1885-1890 according to the atlas.  Will tune after we get it set.
Problem is the dampers.  >>

Greetings,
    These dampers screw into the post. They also screw the heads onto the
wires.  It is  a great system, but requires some care.
(Make sure that there are threads left in the damper posts, otherwise, you
will not be able to regulate them without building new threads).
  The damper height is regulated by screwing them in to the proper depth.
The lateral regulation is done by screwing the damperheads in or out on the
wire. The upstop rail needs to be raised to the maximum while adjusting the
dampers.
    The damperheads next to struts will have to be turned vertically in order
to unscrew them without bending the wires.  I have used a very thin mix of
PVC-E glue and water to size these things, it holds well.
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT